ICAP at Columbia University is an international non-governmental organization that aims to ensure the wellness of families and communities by strengthening health systems around the world. ICAP began working in Sierra Leone in 2014, partnering with the Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MOHS) to strengthen health systems by providing technical assistance, Quality Improvement and Nursing capacity building projects in Sierra Leone. In 2018, ICAP is planning to conduct two program evaluations in Sierra Leone: “Evaluating Sierra Leone’s Intermittent Preventive Treatment for Infants Pilot Program” and “Barriers and Facilitators of Pediatric Health Service Utilization in Western Area Urban. A Formative Assessment of Immunization and Malaria Prevention Services”. In line with the broadened scope and objectives of ICAP work, the need for increased staff capacity around new and enlarged areas of focus have emerged. ICAP therefore, require the services of resourceful, experienced and dynamic professionals for the position of Evaluation Coordinator for a period of six (6) months renewable depending on availability of funds and the evaluation timelines.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Evaluation Coordinator will coordinate all evaluation activities including the development of materials, training and supervising field staff, and overseeing evaluation implementation according to the protocol and standard operating procedures.
- Coordinate with NY-based technical staff on all activities regarding planning and conducting program evaluations
- Participate in development of standard operating procedures, data collection tools and training materials
- Lead pilot testing of study instruments
- Work with Sierra Leone Statistics on the sampling of enumeration areas for the household surveys
- Coordinate the evaluations advisory group meetings and liaise with the Ministry of Health co-investigators
- Lead the submission and renewal of ethical approvals in Sierra Leone
- Participate in routine calls with CDC and ICAP-NY and take minutes with action items
- Develop field workplans and keep them updated, including regular review of progress
- Assemble the regulatory files at ICAP and in the field, and keep these files updated
- Participate in hiring and training of field teams. Provide general training, management, and guidance to field staff throughout study implementation
- Ensure distribution of study materials and resources to field teams, to facilitate data collection and other procedures
- Coordinate all field activity logistics and operations, including implementation of work plans, transportation schedules, and progress monitoring
- Routinely compile reports of field activities to inform the study manager and investigators of study progress
- Assist in the development of and conduct routine data quality assurance and study monitoring activities to ensure data quality
- Alert the study investigators of any field incidents and adverse events immediately
- Address protocol non-adherence events and field incidents with guidance from the research team, implement Corrective Actions/Preventive Actions
- Maintain regular communication with ICAP headquarters-based study staff throughout study preparation and implementation
- Assist investigators in organizing and preparing for local and international stakeholder meetings.
- Prepare reports and presentations of all evaluation and assessments for internal staff and external stakeholders
- Write and submit high-quality evaluation and assessment reports following standardized outlines and templates
- Contribute to dissemination of evaluation/assessments results at conferences, in peer review journals, and other dissemination formats
- Work collaboratively in designing, conducting, and promoting use of results of all evaluation and assessments
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
Candidate must hold a degree or masters in health sciences, epidemiology, public health, social sciences or a related discipline..
3-5 years of experience coordinating research studies or program evaluations
Demonstrated experience in coordinating household surveys or large studies an advantage.
Demonstrated and successful experience coordinating multiple evaluations simultaneously
Experience in participating in research quality control and supervising field staff.
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Excellent interpersonal, organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
Fluency in English and Krio.
Experience with ethical review processes a plus
Knowledge of Good Clinical Practice.
Detail oriented and highly organized, able to multi-task
Willingness to spend substantial time in the field.
Interested candidates should apply via email with CV and a cover letter as Microsoft Word or pdf attachments to
email@example.com not later than 18th April 2018
The subject of the email should be the POSITION title and the applicant’s full name e.g. Evaluation Coordinator – Jane Kamara.
Applications not sent in this format will NOT be processed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***