GOAL Sierra Leone invites applications from suitably qualified and interested Sierra Leonean and other nationalities to fill the under mentioned vacant position
Location: Sierra Leone
Contract duration: 18 Months
Reporting to: Assistant Country Director-System
General overview of the programme
GOAL has been present in Sierra Leone since 1998, with an overall aim to contribute to poverty and vulnerability reduction through the implementation of integrated, multi-sectoral interventions, with a primary focus on improving Reproductive, Maternal, Neonatal, Child and Adolescent health (RMNCAH) specifically addressing teenage pregnancy. GOAL is also improving rural water supply, urban faecal sludge management and promoting social inclusion, empowerment and decent work through systems-based programme approaches and community led social and behavioural change. GOAL currently operates in Western Area Urban (Freetown), Kambia and Kenema Districts, with funding from Irish Aid, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the European Union and USAID through John Snow, Inc.
The Logistics Coordinator directly oversees the Logistics Department, ensuring efficiency, effectiveness, flexibility and responsiveness to the needs of the programme, while adhering to donor and GOAL’s logistics procedures and regulations. Based in the country office in Freetown the logistics coordinator is technically responsible for logistics activities throughout the country programme, including training and development of logistics staff and of all logistics service users. The logistics department in Freetown has been restructured in 2018 and staffing increased to ensure effective service delivery. The Logistics Coordinator will lead in embedding the new structure, training staff, reviewing processes, identifying bottlenecks and challenges and implementing solutions. The investment in the department is reflective of the priority need to strengthen logistics service support to enable delivery of country programme objectives. Concurrent to strengthening the department the Logistics Coordinator will play a key role in building and enhancing effective working relationships with other departments including building understanding and knowledge on effective use of logistics services for programme delivery.
- Direct line management of the Supply Chain Manager and Logistics Manager, and oversight and technical support to the logistics team in Freetown and in the field locations.
- Compliance with the GOAL logistics policies and procedures throughout programme activities
- Support the development and monitoring of the country core operational costs budget
- Act as the primary liaison point for logistics for the Senior Management Team to allow strategic decision making, improve efficiency of processes and ensure compliance and value for money for the GOAL SL programme
- Assist on internal and external audits and follow up on recommendations, ensuring corrective measures are put in place and understood by all.
- Support the SMT in the management of risk in the GOAL SL programme; develop and implement logistics risk management plans including but not limited to stock levels and supplier management
- Ensure that adequate anti-fraud procedures are in place and that abuse of GOAL’s logistics systems does not occur.
- Ensure effective engagement with the Logistics Cluster and other humanitarian and private sector actors
- Promote the adoption of GOAL online tools and act as a change leader in supporting the move to digitised systems for logistics management, information sharing and cross team engagement
- Develop and implement departmental annual plans in accordance with budget and agreed priorities
- Support the Supply Chain Manager to ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place and maintained according to GOAL standards – to include sourcing and procurement, warehousing, transportation and commodity distribution systems;
- Ensure supply chain pipeline information is captured and shared with senior managers and programme staff to enable planning and decision making. Provide data analysis and set up service performance indicators to inform decision making.
- Oversee and ensure effective management of all GOAL Sierra Leone warehouses, inventory/stock and assets (making sure that assets are well tracked and proper disposal plans are develop and approved before any disposal takes place).
- Improve cost-effectiveness by saving time or money through use of: framework contracts, improved coordination of purchasing and transport with programme coordinators and managers
- Liaise effectively with programme staff in any new proposal development and procurement planning so that requests can be anticipated and inputs delivered in a timely manner and in accordance with procurement procedures.
- Responsible for ensuring donor procurement procedures and other donor guidelines as they relate to procurement activities are strictly adhered to.
- Liaise with logistics teams in other NGOs to compare and contrast material cost and quality to ensure that GOAL is achieving excellent value for money.
- Oversee the management of all matters relating to transport and fuel management, to ensure that vehicles are insured, managed correctly, being driven safely, maintained appropriately, damages are reported, and ensure that vehicles internal equipment (first aid kits) are complete and serviceable; and that usage of fuel is correctly managed, and logged and recorded
- To maintain effective systems for the maintenance and security of the GOAL Offices, residences and stores and ensure they conform to recommended insurance, health and safety standards.
- Support and offer guidance to the Administration officer on day today activities of the office management, end to end service delivery, administration and management of office premises and expat staff accommodation, tenancy management.
- Cascading down admin policies and developing governing policies in line with the laws of Sierra Leone.
- Ensure efficient and effective administration policies in line with GOAL policy.
- Ensure that guidance, mentoring and monitoring in all GOAL logistical procedures and policies are given to all the logistics team, in particular the field logistics team.
- Ensure performance management systems are in place for all logistics staff including training plans.
- To maintain and update all Job Descriptions of logistics personnel in line with roles and competency frameworks
- To liaise and coordinate with the HR Manager on personnel issues including recruiting and discipline procedures of staff in accordance with GOAL HR policy and Labour Law
- Ensure that Logistics succession planning is developed in coordination with annual planning.
- Ensure compliance with GOAL policies and procedures, donor regulations and local laws are in line with applicable licenses and are properly documented.
- Ensure that vendor eligibility screening is carried out in a timely fashion, updated regularly, and, recorded appropriately.
- Ensure the Logistics Checklist is completed for all new proposals.
- Liaise effectively with programme and finance staff on the cessation of grants to ensure assets and stock are disposed of in accordance with GOAL policy and donor regulations.
- Assist in implementing GOAL’s Security Guidelines and Procedures and that all logistics staff are familiar with the guidelines and procedures to ensure staff adhere to security protocols.
- Act as part of the Country Crisis Management Team, if activated and required
- Ensure that all logistics reports are submitted in a timely manner
- Assist as required for end of grant reports
- Advocate and plan for professional development for GOAL Sierra Leone logistics staff.
- Determine training and capacity building needs of GOAL partner organizations, provide mentorship to partner counterparts.
- Determine, provide input, and deliver where applicable, training for GOAL staff and GOAL partners’ staff to increase their knowledge and responsibilities in order to ensure sustainability of programs.
- 3-5 years of logistics management experience with at least 1 years’ experience at a management level and 1 year in an international (i.e. not home country) context
- A degree in Logistics, Engineering, Business, or related field
- Appropriate skills and experience in the capacity building and training of staff
- Strong experience of developing and implementing systems
- Knowledge of project management, vehicle management, procurement, stock control and management systems;
- Knowledge of process improvement methodologies like lean six SIGMA, DMAIC
- Ability and willingness to travel, including to field offices and rural locations;
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft packages, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to work under pressure to pursue multiple tasks simultaneously to successful conclusions
- Ability to work under own initiative.
- Master’s Degree in relevant subject
- Experience working with Microsoft Office 365 (Sharepoint)
- Hands-on experience in practical logistics service delivery – particularly with regard to fleet, power (generators, inverters), facilities management and maintenance Experience in contributing to proposal development, budget preparation and report writing desirable.
- Knowledge of security management systems and approaches for NGO’s
- Experience of West Africa, Krio speaker would be highly desirable
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
How to apply:
Goal is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. For a full job description and to apply, go to: https://www.goalglobal.org/careers?gh_jid=1210775
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***