Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Coordinator
Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Coordinator
Location: Freetown Field Office
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Closing date: 25th July 2018
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
We are seeking competent, reliable and self-motivated individuals to contribute to our Global Priorities by joining us in our Sierra Leone Country Office to ensure the delivery of high quality project activities in the target communities with a focus on building the capacity of Save the Children staff and key institutions with which SC collaborates, including both government and non-government agencies and organizations to ensure project quality and sustainability.
In this role, you will work closely with the WASH Project Manager to ensure the delivery of high quality sanitation and hygiene results and outcomes in the target communities of Western urban and rural areas, providing vibrant leadership and technical support to Artisans, WASH management team, project Volunteers and community stakeholders. The role also includes coordinating the collaboration among the public, target groups and private sector services, to ensure quality and sustainable service delivery.
The Sanitation and hygiene promotion Coordinator is therefore responsible for guiding technical implementation of the Sanitation Marketing project, the BCC strategy and the water governance model. S/he will also provide strategic guidance and support on the design and implementation of the ongoing sanitation marketing project to make sure that the Sanitation Marketing Approach is implemented thoroughly across the project area.
The Sanitation and Hygiene promotion Coordinator will form part of the management team of the Freetown WASH Project under the Freetown Field Office of Save the Children Sierra Leone and will report to the Project Manager, with technical relationship / reporting to the WASH Technical Advisor at the Country (Coordination) Office.
The post-holder will be based at the Freetown Field Office and required to spend at least 70% of his/her time in the field to supporting Artisans and the WASH management team, with the remaining 30% working in office to generate report, prepare weekly work plan and attend meetings.
The Coordinator will also contribute to the further growth and development of Save the Children WASH program and humanitarian works, through venturing opportunities, capturing and sharing lessons learnt, producing quality communication materials / reports, strengthening partnerships & collaborative efforts, and contributing for the further positioning of the organization.
- In order to be successful in this role, you should have previous experience in WASH programming (design and implementation), and two years’ proven experience in implementing sanitation marketing. You should have strong knowledge in public health and sanitation engineering and ability to engage effectively with people at all levels from different cultures.
Child Protection level - 2: either the post holder will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their work; or the post holder will be working in a ‘regulated’ position (accountant, barrister, solicitor, legal executive); therefore a police check will be required (at ‘standard’ level in the UK or equivalent in other countries).
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A graduate qualification in public health and sanitation engineering
- At least four years’ experience in WASH programming (design and implementation), and two years’ proven experience in implementing sanitation marketing.
- Proven leadership & coordination skills and experience in working with consortium, partners and integrated program approaches.
- Experience in using participatory methodologies in program planning, implementation, preferably involving children. Good understanding of children and family issues, as well as issues of discrimination, diversity, and inclusion.
- Strong analytical & conceptual skills and the ability to think & plan strategically.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as a team member within a collaborative framework.
- Fluent in English and excellent written skills including ability to write clear and well-structured reports.
- Ability to foster a collaborative team environment, working with a range of stakeholders and partners.
- Highly developed inter cultural and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in implementing WASH related projects in urban settings, understanding of local context.
- An understanding of and commitment to the values of Save the Children, especially a child-rights approach to programming.
- Motor Bike riding skill (must be a licensed motor bike rider).
Contract length: 7 months
- SCI Safeguarding Policy Statement; we need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children.
- Candidates should possess Social Security Numbers (NASSIT)
- SCI maintains zero tolerance to dual employment.
- Reference and Security clearance checks will be conducted.
- Candidates must possess a valid driving license for positions related to field activities.
- Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document including your current remuneration and salary expectations for this role.
- Applicants should address their applications to the Senior HR Coordinator, Save the Children, 55 Sir Samuel Lewis Road, Aberdeen, Freetown or 117 Mano Sewalu Road, Masanta Section, Kailahun Town and send a copy of their application addressed to the NGO Desk Officer, Ministry of Labour & Social Security, New England, Freetown.
- Applications can be hand-delivered to the addresses above or send by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants should attach a copy of a valid Labour Card to their applications
- Applicants should collect a copy of our Child Safeguarding & Code of Conduct policies from the nearest Save the Children office from Monday to Thursday between 0900hrs and 1700hrs and from 0900hrs – 1400hrs on Friday
- Please indicate on the envelop position applied for and job location as stated on the advert.
Please read the job profile, ensure you meet the Essential Criteria before applying. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted and questions about the post will be answered during the interviews.
SCI AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. PERSON WITH DISABILITIES AND WOMEN ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. Please note that Save the Children do not charge fees for recruitment, kindly call our toll-free fraud/general Feedback Line 922 (same number for Airtel and Africell) for complains.
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***