Education Programme Manager
Education Programme Manager
To find out more about this job, please download the job description below
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Closing date: 14th August 2018
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
We are seeking competent, reliable and self-motivated individuals to contribute to our Global Priorities by joining us in our Sierra Leone Country Office to ensure the delivery of high quality project activities in the target communities with a focus on building the capacity of Save the Children staff and key institutions with which SC collaborates, including both government and non-government agencies and organizations to ensure project quality and sustainability.
In this role, you will work closely with the Field Manager, to support the field Office in planning implementing and continuously improving education systems to support our programme quality delivery. The Education Programme Manager also engages externally, particularly in coordinating our Education work with the Ministry of Basic and Secondary School Education (MBSSE) and other INGO’s in the District and also representing the organization in Education discussions, and in helping to identify and pursue new Education opportunities in the Sierra Leonean context. S/he engages in Save the Children’s global and regional Education discussions/initiatives, contributing learning and leveraging best practices from other contexts.
- In order to be successful in this role, you should have significant management experience working in emergency response contexts, fragile states or development. You should have strong knowledge in a relevant Field or equivalent field experience and the ability to engage effectively with people at all levels from different cultures.
Child Safeguarding Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- Significant management experience working in emergency response contexts, fragile states or development.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant Field or equivalent field experience
- Previous experience of managing a team
- Previous experience of project management, including multi sector programmes
- Budget management experience including institutional donors
- Security management experience
- Field level representation with key stakeholders and coordination ion with other NGOs/UN
- Demonstrable experience of Monitoring , Evaluation beneficiary accountability and learning
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances
- Commitments to the aims and principle of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- ECHO, DFID, OFIDA, EU Irish Aid, programme management experience
- Media trained
Contract length: 12 months
- SCI Safeguarding Policy Statement; we need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children.
- Candidates should possess Social Security Numbers (NASSIT)
- SCI maintains zero tolerance to dual employment.
- Reference and Security clearance checks will be conducted.
- Candidates must possess a valid driving license for positions related to field activities.
- Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document including your current remuneration and salary expectations for this role.
- Applicants should address their applications to the Senior HR Coordinator, Save the Children, 55 Sir Samuel Lewis Road, Aberdeen, Freetown or 117 Mano Sewalu Road, Masanta Section, Kailahun Town and send a copy of their application addressed to the NGO Desk Officer, Ministry of Labour & Social Security, New England, Freetown.
- Applications can be hand-delivered to the addresses above or send by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants should attach a copy of a valid Labour Card to their applications
- Applicants should collect a copy of our Child Safeguarding & Code of Conduct policies from the nearest Save the Children office from Monday to Thursday between 0900hrs and 1700hrs and from 0900hrs – 1400hrs on Friday
- Please indicate on the envelop position applied for and job location as stated on the advert.
Please read the job profile, ensure you meet the Essential Criteria before applying. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted and questions about the post will be answered during the interviews.
SCI AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. PERSON WITH DISABILITIES AND WOMEN ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. Please note that Save the Children do not charge fees for recruitment, kindly call our toll-free fraud/general Feedback Line 922 (same number for Airtel and Africell) for complains.
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***