MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND SANITATION
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Location: Integrated Health Projects Administration Unit (IHPAU)
Reporting to: Team Lead, IHPAU
Date of Issuance: Tuesday, 4th December, 2018.
Contract Duration: 12 Months
The Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MOHS) works with development partners, implementers and various Government Departments to deliver health care services to the Sierra Leonean Population. The transaction costs associated with managing multiple donor funds separately, through different uncoordinated structures, has led to the establishment of the Integrated Health Projects Administration Unit (IHPAU) in the office of the Chief Medical Officer. IHPAU intends to integrate all donor-funded projects to be centrally managed by one coherent unit that is integrated within the MOHS structure. Funds for the following World Bank projects are managed by the IHPAU of the MOHS: Regional Disease Surveillance Systems Enhancement (REDISSE); the Health Service Delivery and System Support Project (HSDSSP); and the Ebola Emergency Response Project (EERP). for Sierra Leone. Objectives of both projects are to: (a) developing initiatives to strengthen the organization and delivery of health services at the district and community levels; (b) increasing the numbers and improving the quality of essential health cadres; and (c) enhancing the ministry’s capacity to plan, coordinate, and monitor interventions in the health sector.
The Integrated Health Projects Administration Unit (IHPAU) is an integral structure of the MOHS designed to integrate management of all donor-funded projects. With supervision from the office of the Chief Medical Officer, IHPAU manages donor-supported projects by ensuring: quality financial management; timely procurement of Goods and services; and efficient monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning on all donor-funded projects. IHPAU also perform similar responsibilities for other health projects supported by GAVI Alliance, the Global Fund, African Development Bank, UK Aid, the EU, and UN Agencies.
It is imperative to have dedicated Procurement Specialist (for the three project- HSDSSP/EERP and REDISSE) that will help coordinate and liaise with the various team members during the implementation of these Projects
SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
Under the leadership of the Team Lead for IHPAU, the Procurement Specialist will be responsible for providing high level technical support to enhance the work of the Procurement Department within IHPAU, particularly in assisting in the areas of preparing specifications, solicitation documents, managing evaluations, drafting requests for No Objection from the donors and supporting vendor selection processes. The Procurement Specialist will also work very closely with other Departments within IHPAU and with the HSS and other relevant Units to ensure successful implementation of all funds managed by IHPAU within the Ministry of Health and Sanitation. Specifically, the Procurement Specialist will:
- Provide guidance and support to the Procurement Team within IHPAU with a view to enhance their procurement skills, knowledge and their productivity.
- Assist in the Preparation and Review of Terms of Reference, Request for Expression of Interest(s) and Request for Proposals that would be prepared by the Procurement Department (with support from Subject Matter Specialists).
- Prepare/Review Request for Expression of Interest(s) and Request for Proposals to be published or distributed to shortlisted firms.
- Advise the Team Lead in matters related to the Procurement cycle, including contract negotiations and provide guidance on matters that could be negotiated, the contract award proposal and prepare recommendations to the Procurement Committee for endorsement and to the Executive Management Committee for approval.
- Review standard contract documents prior to signature.
- Advise the Team Lead and the Executive Management Committee on contractual matters that may arise - amendments to contract, extensions and any other related issues.
- Prepare and maintain all procurement related files including filing of all procurement related documents, safe custody of securities, etc.
- Prepare progress updates of all procurement cases as and when required.
- Ensure transparency, competitiveness and integrity of the procurement process as required under Sierra Leone’s National Public Procurement Act and the World Bank guideline/regulations and point out issues of conflict of interest (if any) to the IHPAU’s Executive Management Committee.
- Coach, mentor and train procurement staff to develop capacity in procurement of service provider and consultancy services.
- Review and advise on the technical, commercial and legal aspects of procurement (in consultation with relevant Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies as necessary) at all stages of the project cycle, to include analysis of systemic and other procurement issues, procurement planning, design, implementation and management, and training.
- Provide high-level procurement supervision to ensure that IHPAU employs appropriate methodologies for handling simple and complex procurement tasks and/or issues.
- Collaborate with partners to identify global vendors and suppliers for unique international competitive bidding and manage and maintain excellent vendor relations, including contacts, and pre-qualifications lists.
- Provide guidance on procurement procedures and policy guidance and interpretation for all staff, ensuring value for money in procurement.
- Carry out other procurement functions as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Master’s Degree in the relevant field with minimum of 10 years of experience in public procurement practices and supply chain management, 5 years of which must have been served in a procurement leadership position within large institutions;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in handling, World Bank funded or administered projects.
Knowledge & Experience:
- An extensive experience in carrying out technical duties in procurement involving both National and International Bidding and contract management in World Bank Funded Projects, 5 years of which must have been in Senior Management Role
- Good knowledge of all concepts and principles of and approaches to international procurement, and of public procurement systems.
- Experience in upfront project design, market research and analysis, market sounding (pre-bid meetings) and designing fit for purpose procurement strategies.
- Experience in supporting contract management of large civil works/supply & installation and goods contracts in developing countries.
- Proven analytical and evaluative skills, including the ability to independently provide well researched analyses of key procurement issues and problem
- Knowledge and understanding of technical, commercial and legal aspects of procurement at all phases of the procurement process.
- High level of integrity.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Strong communication skills and persuasiveness in presenting, discussing and resolving difficult issues, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to identify complex issues and to respond and handle accordingly.
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective business relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams within a matrix management environment.
- To apply, please send your application (a mandatory cover letter and an updated CV with at least 3 references) to the following email address: email@example.com
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Only email applications sent to the above email address will be included in the pool of applicants to be assessed by MOHS. No hand deliveries will be accepted. Please also note that your CV should contain your full contact details such as residence address, working mobile telephone number, working email address, as well as those of your three referees.
- Selected candidates will be required to sign a contractual agreement with the Government of Sierra Leone’s Ministry of Health and Sanitation.
- The recruitment will initially be for a period of 12 months with the possibility of extension subject to Satisfactory performance; Continued requirement of the position and Availability of funds.
- Fluency in spoken and written English required.
Closing date: Tuesday, 18th December, 2018.
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***