- Organization: Plan International
- Country: Sierra Leone
- City: Freetown
- Office: Plan International in Freetown, Sierra Leone
The Organization :
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International Sierra Leone is seeking to recruit top-notch professional to fulfil the position of Programme Implementing and Influencing Area (PIIA) Accountant (Moyamba & Port Loko) to deliver the tasks outlined below: SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
This position is to ensure that all Program Unit’s (PU) financial operations are conducted as per Plan International Operating Manual (OM) and other approved policies and procedures at the IH, RO and CO levels.
DIMENSIONS OF ROLE
Financial measures or statistics relevant to post such as budget; list of direct and indirect reports
- Controls PIIA annual budget of approximately Eur 2m
- Ensure the implementation of cashless policy at the PIIA
- Provide Financial Support to all Projects and programs in the area of responsibility
- Area of Responsibility – Moyamba PIIA/ Port Loko PIIA
- Prepares Financial and other Reports to aid the preparation of the overall country’s financial report for dissemination and decision making. To do this, the role:
- Prepares and submits accurate and timely financial management reports (Monthly, quarterly and yearly).
- Provide PIIA financial reports as an input in the preparation of quarterly and year-end reports.
- Undertakes monthly community and partner visits and submits reports to Country Senior Accountant for consolidation.
- Prepares and provides comments on the PIIA financial reports i.e. Monthly GL, CMP Advance Register Analysis, Budget vs. Actual reports etc.
- Ensures timely liquidation of PIIA staff and CMP/Partner advances.
- Reviews PIIA sub-ledger for all advances and prepaid expenses and follow up on outstanding advances.
- Applies the cost-recovery policy on a monthly basis and ensures full cost-recovery at the PIIA level.
Supports Budget preparation and Budgetary Control for the effective implementation of financial plans :
- Leads in the preparation of the PIIA annual budget.
- Monitors and controls PIIA budget.
- Modifies PIIA budget on a monthly basis in accordance with the rolling budget.
- Ensures correct budget and expenditure coding
Prepares and compiles Treasury Management and Cash Forecasting for the country to ensure the availability of funds for country operations :
- That sufficient funds are available for the smooth operations at the PIIA level.
- That PIIA cash requirement forecast is prepared and submitted to the Country Senior Accountant for consolidation.
- That expenditure trend and pipeline expenditure are monitored to avoid excess cash for the PIIA
Manage the operations of the corporate software to meet Plan’s spending and financial reporting requirements:
- That accuracy checks are undertaken to ensure that all transactions entered into the accounting software are correct.
- Payments are prepared and packed for the Country Accountant’s approval.
- Processing of payments on only approved project outlines
- Value for money is attained for all payments
- Review of community and partner liquidations and liquidate same timely
- Staff advances are liquidated timely.
- That the general ledger balances especially balance sheet accounts are accurate before sign-off for GL closure.
- That general ledger balance, especially expense accounts after closure are analysed and the necessary corrections effected.
- That a good digital filing system for all reports, community & partner liquidation is maintained
- That receipt reconciliation report is prepared before GL closure
Implement Internal Financial Controls & Payment processes for the attainment of value for money at all times:
- That payments are made as per approved policies and procedures.
- That he/she reviews all the vouchers before signed off by Plan Managers.
- The preparation of PU financial audit action list after each audit and ensures compliance.
- That he/she monitors and submits report on financial risk.
- That PU accounting is processed and prepared based on the accrual accounting principle.
- Supervision of PU Accounts Officer.
- Provides training and share good experience/practice among the team to strengthen team capacity.
- Keeps CFM informed of any initiative or difficulties relating to the job’s responsibilities.
- Fulfils Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to protect children from all forms of abuse.
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time to support the achievement of organisational goals. Dealing with problems: This includes how much freedom the position has to make decisions; for example, “may approve invoices up to $1,000.” This includes how much freedom the position has to make decisions; for example, “may approve invoices up to $1,000.”
- Ensures adherence to the country’s financial and accounting requirements as per requirements of the OM and other organizational policies and procedures to support sound financial management within the organisation
- Coaching and training of staff in the implementation of financial practices.
- Works with minimum supervision
- Analyses financial issues for decision making and refer to a higher manager for approval
- Has a commitment approval and cheque signing limit of EUR 50,000
- Ensure the principles and guidelines on the new Global Policy on Prevention of Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse is fully embedded and in your area work.
- Ensure all concerned person, Child, member of a community where Plan International works and/or Programme Participant knows how to and feels safe and empowered to report any concerns, allegations or suspicions of Sexual Harassment, Exploitation or Abuse and the report is taking seriously.
- Create and strengthening the capacity of all staff, Associates and visitors to prevent and respond in a timely, effective, safe, comprehensive and confidential manner to all complaints, allegations and incidents on Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS, AND KNOWLEDGE
Gained through education, training, & experience
Qualification and Experience
- University degree in Accounting plus ICA Ghana Part 2 or ACCA Foundation Level (Part 1 and Part 2), or equivalent.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Fair knowledge of project management. Demonstrated behaviors needed by the post holder to successfully perform the role:
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Ability to facilitate participative processes.
- Independence, objectivity and integrity.
- Organized, methodic and meticulous.
- Develops, motivates and coaches direct reports.
- Promotes innovation and learning.
- Gains, develops and retains credibility about his/her performance. Skills Specific to the post needed to put knowledge into practice.
- Good management skills
- Sound problem-solving skills
- Good team player
- Good negotiating, facilitating and influencing skills
- Proficient in Microsoft applications especially excel and pivot tables.
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Good accounting, analytical and judgment skills
- Good supervisory and coordination skills
- Ability to deliver to tight deadlines
- Medium contact with Plan partner organizations to ensure Plan receives value for money and the financial requirements are adhered to.
- Has high contact with all country office and program unit finance staff to support smooth implementation of the finance and accounting functions
- Maintains medium contact with other staff from the program unit office to offer support for compliance with finance and accounting procedures
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Ensure staff understand Plan International’s commitment to driving a feminist agenda within the organization, and the ambition for gender equality and gender transformative leadership is embedded in our value-based leadership framework
Plan International’s Values
To apply for this job, kindly click on “Apply” Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- A comprehensive CV including details of two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent supervisor Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted. References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plan International Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy. Plan International follows an equal opportunity policy and actively encourages diversity welcoming applications from all especially women and people living with disability. Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Location: Moyamba and Port Loko
Type of Role: Program Implementation and Influencing Area Accountant
Reports to: PIIA Manager and Country Finance Manager
Closing Date: 5th April 2022
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.