Organization: CARITAS KENEMA
Country: Sierra Leone
Office: CARITAS KEBEMA
Date: 13th April 2022
Location: 4 Reservation Road Kenema
ORGANIZATION: CARITAS KENEMA
Caritas Kenema is the Diocesan Development Office (KDDO) owned by the Catholic Church. It was established in 1973 as the development and relief wing of the Diocese of Kenema. In the year 2000, the office assumed the name “Caritas Kenema. As a faith based catholic organization, the vision of Caritas Kenema is founded on the social teachings of the Catholic Church. It is a civilization of love, solidarity and fraternity where:
- Justice, peace, truth, freedom, solidarity and fraternity prevail.
- The dignity of the human person is paramount
- Exclusion, discrimination, violence and dehumanizing poverty are no more
- The goods of the earth are shared by all
- All creation is cherished and held in trust for the common good of future generations
All people, especially the poorest, the marginalized and the oppressed, find hope and are empowered to come to the fullness of their humanity as part of a global community
Closing Date: 19th April, 2022
Nature of Services Required:
- External Program Audit services
- Tax Health check
- Annual External Program Audit Services
CARITAS Kenema is looking for qualified auditing firms to submit proposals to perform annual external program audit services.
- The external audit services required will include but not limited to;
- The planning, management and execution of the annual audit for CARITAS Kenema
- The examination of financial records, systems and controls of CARITAS Kenema in accordance with international auditing standards and the provisions of the Local Government
- Presentation of the Audit report together with the report to management and Letter of Representation to the Board. The report to the management is expected to cover any weaknesses in internal controls noted during the audit or other area of concern.
- The management letter should include weaknesses in the internal controls and also the level of risk whether Low, Medium and High.
- The Auditor will be required to attend a meeting of the local Board to present and explain as necessary the audit reports and audit opinion.
- Provision of advice to CARITAS Kenema Management and Board on new or changed reporting requirements and auditing standards, advice on technical Program, accounting and tax matters.
- Tax Health check
The main aim of the assignment is to ensure that CARITAS Kenema remains tax compliant at all times and that any risks are flagged out and addressed in good time. The objectives of the tax health check are:
- Identify exposures by taxation area based on your understanding of management activities and industry specific issues
- Develop possible solutions to minimize tax exposure and risks
- Advise on tax planning opportunities
- Advise management on settling identified exposures with revenue authority
- Carry out biannual reviews to ensure the organization remains complaint to Sierra Leonean tax laws.
Specific areas of concern:
- Review monthly returns for GST, withholding tax, and PAYE and verify accuracy
- Verifying the correctness of withholding tax calculations as presently done
- Allowable / disallowable expenses with respect to donor funds
- Allowable / disallowable incomes
- Review correct posting of funds in the accounting system to reduce tax exposure.
- Ensure there are no existing tax penalties and interest and if there are any advice management on appropriate action.
PERSONAL / EMPLOYEE TAXATION
- Basis of PAYE Taxation
- Problematic areas of Payroll Tax
- Employer / Employee Responsibilities
- Tax Exempt Incomes
- Exempt Organization/ employees
- Tax Free Remunerations
- Special Cases
- Correction of Errors in Returns
- Allowable deductions from income
Technical Requirement of the selected service provider
The qualified firm should exhibit the following:
- Demonstration of experience and expertise of similar assignment with private business; Providing an activity plan (project plan) of actions to achieve the objectives of the assignment, specifying budgeted hours, timelines and sequence for its consultancy procedure and level of staff to be assigned;
- Incorporating CV’s of the proposed professional staff of the core management team proposed for the engagement and the authorized representative submitting the proposal. CVs should demonstrate relevant experience of dealing with Tax matters within organizations similar to our operation, – specifically experience in NGOs and INGOs
- Provide List of current and past clients where the bidder carried tax consulting along with the name of the organization, contact person, designation, and a contact number, nature of the consulting services and length of the appointment for at least three.
Payment will be in accordance with a detailed budget breakdown as submitted through the proposal, and invoices will be expected from the consultant prior to payment.
Applicants are requested to submit their (technical & financial) proposals to the following email ID firstname.lastname@example.org