Quality Assurance and Management Director
Job Title: QAM Director - Readvert
Direct Reports: 2
Reporting to: Country Director
Budget Responsibilities: Yes
Interested candidate should click on the link to APPLY: https://mariestopessl.jb.skillsmapafrica.com/Job/Index/47489
Marie Stopes Sierra Leone
Marie Stopes International (MSI) is a global social business providing personalised, high quality, affordable contraception and safe abortion services to women and girls. MSI has 13,000 team members working in 37 countries to deliver our mission: children by choice, not chance. Marie Stopes Sierra Leone (MSSL) is a founding member of the MSI Partnership, operating in Sierra Leone for 30 years and becoming the largest non-governmental provider of family planning (FP) and sexual & reproductive health (SRH) services in the country. MSSL delivers services in every district of Sierra Leone through its outreach, centres/clinics and social marketing channels.
The Quality Assurance and Management function is responsible for the assurance of end to end clinical quality of the services delivered by MSSL’s three channels: outreach, clinics and social marketing. With a broad oversight of all areas of service delivery, clinical governance and the global standards established by MSI, the team represents MSSL in all clinical and quality matters. It provides expert support to develop and maintain clinical capacity and quality in the form of client safety, effectiveness of services and the best client experience across all service delivery channels.
Working with the MSI Medical Development Team (MDT), Senior management Team (SMT), MSI’s international partners and related technical colleagues, the function is responsible for development and implementation of the MDT training and capacity strategy, ensuring that it is closely aligned to the MSI Partnership goals of maintaining clinical quality across all service delivery channels.
The team contributes to furthering MSI’s mission: Children by Choice not Chance by ensuring excellence in clinical quality and training, developing effective strategies to meet training needs emerging as a result of quality audits, setting standards and guidelines, holding the management of MSSL to account to deliver world class services.
As a member of Senior Management Team (SMT), the QAM Director plays a crucial role in enabling the achievement of MSSL’s mission by building on the excellence of service delivery quality, building expert and knowledgeable teams capable of implementing MSI’s strategy Scaling Up Excellence.
This new position reflects the progress that MSSL has made to date with its governance agenda, being seen as leader for FP and SRH in the country, delivering high clinical standards across 9 centres and 14 outreach teams, and our promise to continue to ensure safe, cost effective and appropriate care for our clients.
The QAM Director will supervise develop and grow a small team able to manage all QTA requirements, drive through innovations and deliver clinical training and emergency response. The QAM Director has the authority to pause team activities, recommend disenfranchisement on the basis of quality concerns and hold the SMT and management to account. The QAM Director, while reporting directly to the Country Director, will work closely with the Operations Director to ensure that technical support is available to the teams responsible for service delivery.
- Responsible for the clinical governance of MSSL, with appropriate quality assurance, accountabilities and governance tools functioning at all levels of the organisation.
- Development and delivery of quality assurance systems, policies procedures and activities across MSSL’s channels and services fully compliant with MSI and Government of Sierra Leone standards and guidelines.
- All service providers to ensure that they strictly adhere to MSI clinical policies and guidelines
- Establishment, roll out and regular monitoring of systems of internal clinical audit across all service delivery channels with mechanisms to identify and remedy areas of concern and escalation to the SMT as necessary.
- Incident management, investigation and reporting on all serious incidents as per MSI policy.
- Taking steps to pause services and initiate action if needed to protect clinical quality.
- Report regularly and accurately to MSSL SMT on all issues relating to quality, client safety and actions taken.
- Ensure that commodities and supplies are used according to MSI standards.
- Work closely with the finance, administration and operational teams to ensure that premises are fit for purpose and achieve/maintain their registration.
- Develop tools to measure and track compliance and provide reports to the SMT which provide reassurance on all issues relating to quality compliance.
- Responsible for ensuring clinical standards, protocols and policies and standardisation of services are in accordance with international best practice and the current evidence base Lead the development and maintenance of standard operational policies, procedures and processes to ensure the delivery of high quality safe care to our clients which is consistent across the country.
- Lead the development of a robust customer complaints procedure which ensures speedy resolution of customer complaints either locally at centre level or at an operational level and ensures that appropriate action is taken to close the loop.
- Contribute to MSSL strategy and business planning processes, with particular focus on driving MSSL towards world class clinical quality.
- Provide clinical input to the strategic direction of the organisation. Lead on clinical innovation and provide cost effective solutions. Identify new innovations and best practice.
- Provide clinical expertise to relevant teams to ensure that services are always delivered to MSI standards and in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Collaborating with the RME team, develop and implement a research agenda to generate evidence on best clinical practices and client outcomes. Review and approve all clinical research protocols
- Lead as Director of Infection Prevention and Control.
- Responsible for clinical decision making including reporting of clinical incidents and safeguarding issues to MSI and relevant external bodies.
- Engage and motivate all clinicians on all quality and assurance initiatives, working through the Quality Assurance Manager and Clinical Trainer.
- Advise SMT on the most effective and cost efficient ways of delivering clinical services.
- Responsible for managing and directing lead clinicians , leading on changes in clinical practice and the delivery of clinical services, ensuring that these are fully researched and evidence based.
- Advise Channel Leads and QAM team on developments and changes in clinical practices.
- Advocate for MSSL and its clients both internally and externally globally.
- Support dialogue with policy makers as required to increase access to high-quality safe abortion and family planning services.
- Engagement with range of relevant public and private SRH service provider stakeholders especially in relation to clinical training and development.
- Represent MSI externally at meetings, committees, forums and conferences, working with key stakeholders such as WHO, development partners, regulators, the medical community in SRH and other communities related to MSSL clinical services.
- Work collaboratively with the finance, commercial, operational teams to ensure centre premises are fit for purpose.
Training and development
- In collaboration with the Clinical Trainer, develop training curriculum in accordance with MSI global requirements/standards with minimum disruption to service and impact on quality.
- Ensure the delivery of high quality health services trainings to MSSL service providers and partners in accordance with MSI standards.
- Use self-assessment, QTA visits and management meetings to identify specific training needs so that quality and technical clinical capacity is continuously improved.
- Oversee the inclusion of quality assurance in all staff induction.
- Ensure that quality assurance and related training/certification is inbuilt into all funding programmes.
- Responsible for the continuous development of clinical best practice, ensuring MSSL’s continued leadership in the field of SRH services.
Significant health services management experience gained within the reproductive healthcare sector (essential).
Experience in providing and / management of FP/SRH training (essential).
Experience in health services quality control at national level (essential).
Proven record of clinical leadership in a healthcare environment
Experience of working on initiatives aimed at improving the customer experience
Extensive understanding and experience of clinical governance and risk management.
A proven track record and significant experience of successfully working with clinicians and other healthcare professionals
Fluency or strong command of spoken and written business English (essential) with a good comprehension of Krio (desirable).
Qualifications and Training (essential/desirable)
- Medical doctor (essential).
- Post graduate degree or equivalent in medicine or gynaecology (desirable).
- Active, practical and up to date knowledge of all family planning methods and basic obs/gynae (essential).
- Assurance and/or training qualification desirable (desirable).
- Good knowledge of the health sector in Sierra Leone an important advantage (desirable).
- Strong supporter of the cause for contraception and a woman’s right to safe abortion. (Pro-choice.)
- Results driven.
- Motivated and energetic.
- Strong commitment to the goals and vision of MSI and MSSL.
- Passion for service excellence and improving quality
- Strong leadership and management skills; able to effectively build capacity.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skill.
- The highest levels of integrity, and a strong ethical sense.
- Self- managed and able to prioritise and work under pressure.
- Resilient and able to manage own stress and that of others.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
MSI Behaviours and Values
Team Member Behaviours
Work as One MSI
- You contribute, use, and share accurate data and evidence to improve understanding, insight and decision-making across MSI, enabling us to maximise our ability to influence others
- You share relevant knowledge, expertise and resources to strengthen teamwork and prevent duplication of effort
- You actively work as part of a team, providing support and flexibility to colleagues, demonstrating fairness, understanding and respect for all people and cultures.
- Show courage, authenticity and integrity
- You hold yourself accountable for the decisions you make and the behaviours you demonstrate
- You are courageous in challenging others and taking appropriate managed risks.
- Develop and grow
- You seek feedback to enable greater self-awareness and provide the same to others in a way which inspires them to be even more effective
- You manage your career development including keeping your knowledge and skills up to date.
- Deliver excellence, always
- You strive to consistently meet and exceed expectations, putting clients at the centre of everything, and implement smarter, more efficient ways of performing your role
- You build and maintain effective long-term working relationships with all stakeholders, and are a true MSI ambassador.
- Leadership (For Leaders only)
- You inspire individuals and teams, through situational leadership, providing clear direction
- You seek and provide opportunities which motivate team members, helping to develop skills and potential whilst strengthening our talent and succession pipeline
- You are aware of emerging developments in our sector, demonstrating strategic insight about our clients and business and encourage this in your team
- You articulate a vision of the future which inspires and excites others.
Mission driven: With unwavering commitment, we exist to empower women and men to have children by choice not chance
- Client centred: We are passionate about our clients and dedicate our efforts to delivering agreed objectives to the highest possible quality
- Accountable: We are accountable for our actions and take responsibility for everything we do to ensure long term sustainability and increased impact
- Courageous: We recruit and nurture talented, passionate and brave people who have the courage to push boundaries, make tough decisions and challenge others in line with our mission.
“ Previous applicants should not re-apply as they will be considered for the role if they meet the criteria, and applications will be screened on a rolling basis.”
This is an EXCLUSIVE job advert, reposting it on other job boards, on online or offline communication channels without the written consent of Careers.sl is strictly forbidden and may result in legal action!