|Job Title||Director Programme Operations||Reporting to||Country Director|
|Location||Freetown||Number of Direct Reports||4|
|Marie Stopes Sierra Leone|
Marie Stopes International (MSI) is a global social business providing personalized, high quality, affordable contraception and safe abortion services to women and girls. MSI has 13,000 team members working in 37 countries to deliver our mission: children by choice, not chance. Marie Stopes Sierra Leone (MSSL) is a founding member of the MSI Partnership, operating in Sierra Leone for over 35 years and becoming the largest non-governmental provider of family planning (FP) and sexual & reproductive health (SRH) services in the country. MSSL delivers services in every district of Sierra Leone through its Outreach, Public Sector Strengthening (PSS), Centres, Contact Centre and Social Marketing Channels.
The MSSL Programme Operations team is responsible for ensuring that all MSSL’s programmes and operational activities are carried out to the highest quality and timely manner across all clinical and non-clinical activities (Public Sector Strengthening Channel, Outreach Channel, Programme, Monitoring and Evaluation and Research, Advocacy and External Relations). The Programme Operations team leads on programmatic and operational activity while ensuring that all MSSL standard policies and donor projects across the channels are adhered to. The team ensures that MSSL business development strategies and work plans continually drive MSSL towards program sustainability and increased uptake of FP and sexual and reproductive health products and services in Sierra Leone.
The team contributes to furthering MSI’s mission: Children by Choice not Chance by bringing modern business approaches to MSSL’s operations and programmes in order to move the organisation towards financial sustainability, high productivity and growth.
|The Director Programme Operations will support the Country Director to drive MSSL towards Programme sustainability and to increase uptake of MSSL’s services and products. The Director Programme Operations will provide guidance, technical support and capacity building to the the two Pillar 1 Leave No-one Behind channels (PSS and Outreach), and support the effective implementation of donor-funded projects and other Programme interventions .
The Program Operations Director will support the Country Director to roll out all operational, programmatic and strategic activities and ensure effective implementation, continuous improvement and strengthening of MSSL’s Pillar 1 channels and Programme. This wide-ranging remit includes strategy and business development, direction and coordination of technical support to the country program, Programme development, Programme quality, capacity building, policy review and development and managing a large portfolio of grants. As well as delivering services on the ground, our focus on sustainability means we also work with governments to strengthen existing health systems and transform the political environments in which we work.
The Director of Programme Operations will support the building of motivated and productive teams capable of implementing MSI’s strategy 2030.
- Work with the Country Director to drive performance of MSSL operations against agreed business plan targets, instilling a culture of continuous improvement to deliver local efficiencies and effectiveness
- Support the identification and roll out of Success Model guidance and recommendations (and other strategic or operational programmes and initiatives) by ensuring that proper measurement of interventions and outcome is observed.
- Drive and monitor improvements in performance against key indicators including productivity, PAC, CYPs, cost per CYP, % youth accessing services, % of long acting methods across the Leave No-one Behind channels.
- Assist in the analysis of monthly performance data using management reporting packs (MRPs),CLIC, DHIS2, Infor BI and other Programme data in order to monitor progress against objectives, identify any risks and implement improvement plans as needed , and feed into the monthly review process.
- Work with QAMT Team to ensure operations comply with healthcare standards, donor standards and MSI Global Goods policies and donor requirements and take immediate action on any areas identified for improvement.
- Ensure appropriate risk and contingency plans are in place across operations to anticipate risk and outline appropriate action to be taken to minimize impact.
- Maximize efficiencies in PSS and Outreach service delivery and expand geographical coverage with a focus on penetrating rural, poor, under-served areas of high demand, high impact clients (adolescent reach) and unmet needs.
- Strengthen systems and ensure that all channel leads use relevant and appropriate information to inform business decisions and ensure project success.
Business Planning, Programme Implementation :
- Work with the Country Director to develop annual business planning and OGSM setting. Contribute to planning and supporting regular MSSL strategic review and planning process, including input from all functions.
- Contribute to the development of short- and long-range organizational objectives as well as assessing progress towards objectives and business effectiveness.
- Work with the Programme team to effectively manage the program cycle for all donor-funded grants and design annual budgets for each grant, with relevant teams. Track expenditure against budget, analyze variances and put in place mitigation to manage variances.
- Ensure high service standards to donors, stakeholders and partners and ensure timely and quality project management and donor reporting. Strengthen the capacity of programmes team to represent, manage and report on projects.
Program Quality Excellence and Improvement:
- As an Operational Excellence leader, serve as the focal point for high quality output across all business functions by designing, assessing, and validating the value-add and quality of country program interventions, activities, and strategies.
- Drive high-performance culture within the country program in PSS and OR.
- Demonstrate and drive process to reduce program risks, financial and reputational risks in implementation of MSSL projects.
- The incumbent will be responsible for sense-checking, quality-assuring submissions from projects including quality of reports, concept notes, TORs, business cases, investment applications, and SOPs.
Business Development and Resource mobilization
Public Sector Strengthening / Integrated Services Channel
Staff Mentorship and Human capacity Development
Qualifications and Training (essential/desirable)
- Results driven.
- Motivated and energetic.
- Strong commitment to the goals and vision of MSI and MSSL.
- Able to develop and articulate a clear business vision and plan; proven strategic planning skills
- Strong leadership and management skills; able to effectively build capacity.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills – both reading and fluent spoken English language and Krio desirable.
MSI Behaviours and Values
Work as One MSI
Show courage, authenticity and integrity
Develop and grow
Deliver excellence, always
Leadership (For Leaders only)
- Mission driven: With unwavering commitment, we exist to empower women and men to have children by choice not chance
- Client centered: We are passionate about our clients and dedicate our efforts to delivering agreed objectives to the highest possible quality
- Accountable: We are accountable for our actions and take responsibility for everything we do to ensure long term sustainability and increased impact
- Courageous: We recruit and nurture talented, passionate and brave people who have the courage to push boundaries, make tough decisions and challenge others in line with our mission.
SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THE LINK BELOW TO APPLY: