MSF BELGIUM VACANCY:
Outreach Environmental Health Manager
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters, and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. MSF is therefore guided by the principles of neutrality and impartiality. These principles must apply to all MSF staff.
Title of position: Environmental Health Manager Outreach (level 9)
Status of position: Regular Position
Location: MSF Hangha Hospital, Kenema with frequent visits to field sites Main Purpose
Planning, coordinating, implementing and monitoring all logistics activities in the project related to Water, Health and Sanitation, according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the project
- In collaboration with the Project Medical Referent and the Environmental Health Coordinator, planning, elaborating and reviewing the annual budget for the Environmental Health activities in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the mission and the targeted population.
- Monitoring on a day-to-day basis the implementation of the Environmental Health activities in the project ensuring compliance of MSF standards, protocols and procedures, and reporting to the Project Medical Referent on the development of the ongoing programmes including the following:
- Designing, implementing and managing all Environmental Health interventions in the project. (including, but not limited to water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, hygiene, and infection control
- Conducting routine Environmental health assessments in collaboration with project medical teams to identify Environmental health needs at project level and making recommendations for response activities to the line manager (e.g. Project/Project Medical Referent, Environmental Health Coordinator). Ensuring the Environmental Health contribution to the development and planning of emergency response strategies and resources, in collaboration with the medical and logistical teams
- Ensuring availability, proper purchasing, and appropriate technical specifications of required materials and equipment through planning, organizing and overseeing the inventory of the Watsan stock
- In collaboration with the Project Medical Referent, Environmental Health Coordinator and the HR Manager, participating in the planning and implementation of HR associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, detection of potential, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required to correctly perform all logistics activities pertaining to his area
- Providing technical support to the medical team in identifying possible “risk factors” (e.g. behavioral practices, environmental sources of infection, and transmission routes) and offers solutions for infection control. Actively contributing to the integration of Environmental Health activities in the medical intervention offering project proposals and work plans.
- Ensuring proper collection and monitoring of Environmental Health data. Ensuring multidisciplinary data availability.
- Providing analysis of data and regular reporting of results (as requested by line management) Performing additional activities whenever needed and as requested by the supervisor
Context Specific Accountabilities
- Assess the extent to which minimum standards in environmental health are being met in the supported PHUs and selected communities. Follow up on the implemented activities. Suggest and implement improvements in line with MSF & Sierra Leone standards in collaboration with the medical team
- Implementation of the environmental health improvements in the supported PHUs and selected communities in collaboration with the MSF medical team and MOH staff
- Coaching and supervision of MSF staff (Environmental Health Supervisors and Technicians) and MOH staff in the supported PHUs. Assess training needs and provide required trainings. Empower the Environmental Health Supervisors, to be able to work independently and supervise the Environmental Health Technicians
- Providing technical environmental health support to Boajibu Office and Guest House in order to ensure adequate water supply, safe sanitation and vector control measures
- Team planning (e.g. staff rosters and admin, HR processes, etc.)
Budget management of Environmental Health Outreach budget lines
- Academic background in engineering or an equivalent relevant training/experiences
- Watsan in Emergencies Training within MSF is strongly recommended
- Previous experience in technical aspects of water and sanitation works.
- Minimum of 6-months of hands on field emergency WHS professional experience in a humanitarian or international development setting
- Desirable: experience in or familiar with implementing and promoting the use of two or more of the following activities (water supply, excreta disposal, waste and wastewater management, vector control, and dead bodies management) in two or more different contexts (conflicts, natural disasters, refugee/IDP camps, etc.)
- Desirable: public health background or experience
Applicants should submit: Application letter, CV, copy of certificates/diplomas, copy of labor card, copy of work certificates from previous employment.
– no original documents to be submitted
Applications can be submitted to: MSF Kenema Hospital (Hangha- Main gate, Watchmen Office), MSF Boajibu Office (Main gate, Watchmen office) & MSF-Belgium office in Freetown (Aberdeen
Applications can be submitted online: MSFOCB-Kenema-Recruitment@brussels.msf.org
Application deadline: 6 February 2023 – no late applications will be accepted
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further recruitment process.
Please note that MSF does not reimburse transportation cost if applicants are asked for a test or interview. Please indicate “Vacancy Outreach EH Manager” and NAME on the envelope/ email subject
MSF does not charge fees for receiving any applications or participating in any recruitment process.