Location—————————- Sierra Leone Department: International
Reports to (Job Title)———–Chief of Party Salary Band: C Competency level 3
To manage the finance and operations functions in the implementation of the USAID Civic Engagement in Local Governance for Accountability (CELGA) activity. To be responsible for effective financial management including the preparation of financial plans and reports, supporting and building the financial capacity of staff and facilitating external, internal and donor audits. The role will also ensure excellent operational and contract management to enable strong delivery of the Programme. This role may also include supporting or managing partner financial capacity, managing the compliance function, managing the administrative function, providing tier 1 HR, providing tier 1 IT and providing tier 1 health & safety, but this will depend on operational arrangements and other roles in the country Programme and the region
- All financial returns, reports and reconciliations are accurate and submitted for processing in a timely fashion.
- Senior Management provided with the necessary financial information to enable them to make decisions regarding strategy and plans.
- Local budgets, donor funded programmes, commercial contracts and appeal funds are managed, reviewed regularly and corrective action taken as necessary.
- Christian Aid and donor financial policies and procedures are complied with and any issues arising from non-compliance dealt with swiftly and efficiently.
- Internal, external and donor audits are supported and any actions dealt with.
- Financial training needs of local Christian Aid and consortium staff are addressed.
- Effective procurement and management of external suppliers working to agreed service level agreements or contracts.
- Effective Programme/contract delivery with impact in line with agreed outcomes of the Programme Log frame and contract.
- Highly effective and efficient grants management service provided to Programme partners
- Operational capacity around business systems, IT and facilities delivered to a high standard
- Staff recruited, inducted & managed to perform to a high standard to meet their objectives.
Expected travel per annum over 75 days
Surge capacity for emergency responses Choose an item.
On call/unsocial hours Choose an item.
In order to respond to ever changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project based working approach the norm. To sustain this system, managers may/will agree further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
The Finance & Operations Manager is a key position for overseeing all aspects of a multi-million USAID funded CELGA activity in Sierra Leone. S/he has the overall responsibility for administration and financial management, including accounting systems, budgeting, expenditure tracking, financial reporting and human resources for Christian Aid as the Prime.
The goal of the Civic Engagement in Local Governance for Accountability (CELGA) in Sierra Leone is to strengthen the social contract between local governments and citizens in Sierra Leone by fostering increased accountability of local-level decision-makers to citizens on issues of importance to the community. The specific objectives of this activity are to:
- Increase effective and informed citizen and civil society participation in local government and political processes, and
- Bolster the capacity of local governance institutions to provide critical services and be more transparent in their processes.
The Finance & Operations Manager is based in Sierra Leone and reports to the Chief of Party.
External Maintains and builds relationships with USAID and senior officials in Government Authorities and other relevant external agencies
Internal Close liaison within the USAID teams and with various Christian Aid teams including the Sierra Leone country office, Finance Division, Internal Audit, Communications Division, Programme Funding Division and Programme Performance, Consortium partners and Local implementing partners teams etc.
Budgetary/savings responsibility Click here to enter text. Outline the amount of budgetary/savings responsibility this role is accountable for.
Leadership in liaison with the Chief of Party and overall operational management of dedicated Programme. Manage the finance function and make decisions in all financial areas. Lead and facilitate annual statutory and donor audits as required, implement audit recommendations and advise on implementing any audit recommendations within partner organizations. Manage the implementation of new financial systems and processes in line with Christian Aid overall corporate requirements. Financial training needs of staff are identified and addressed. Lead procurement process in country.
Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to evaluate problems and make decisions on a routine basis.
Interpreting large amounts of data. Reporting trends and outcomes. Multi-tasking and planning multiple strands of work
Developing self and others Overall people management responsibility TBC
Number of Direct reports TBC
The role has direct responsibility of managing staff under this activity. The role is responsible for training team members and partner staff in Finance & operations and USAID granting and finance due diligence guidelines and needs to keep abreast of evolving changes in due diligence, financial and operational policy frameworks for the project.
Has direct responsibility for developing, coaching, technical support and motivating colleagues/project team members, including those who report through others to bring the standards of the Finance and operations up to those expected by Christian Aid and the Donor. Will monitor performance review and development planning and activities within the function to ensure that best practice is being met. Continuously look for opportunities for self-development, gve and receive honest and open feedback in a timely manner.
Role related checks
Child protection clearance Not required Counter terrorism screening Required
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related field relevant to the position requirements.
- At least 10 years of experience in financial management for large complex activities, of which at least five years were working in the field of international development.
- Prior experience in operations, procurement and grant management policy and practice.
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in English language.
- Prior experience managing USG activities preferably of similar scope with an excellent grasp of USAID Financial policies and requirements.
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in English Language
- Project cycle management expertise Desirable
- A master’s degree in Finance and Business Administration.
- Understanding of partnership approach to international development
- Network and alliance building Digital/IT competencies required
Word, Excel, PowerPoint Intermediate Web content design & development Intermediate Internet based collaboration tools and video calling Basic Social Media Intermediate Data Visualization Advanced
How to apply :
For more information on application procedures, visit Christian Aid website www.christianaid.org and follow the steps to apply online. Please note: Hard copies of application will not be accepted.
Please forward any queries you have regarding this vacancy on email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.