Job Description for Qualitative Researcher
Job title: Freelancer Qualitative Researcher (x 6)
Department/Business unit: Research and Learning
Report to: Senior Research Officer
Location: Western Area, Pujehun and Koinadugu
Date of Issue: 18 September 2023
Contract duration: 10 – days contract on local terms and conditions
Likely dates of work: November 2023
Overall, the Purpose of the Job
BBC Media Action is recruiting a Freelance qualitative researcher to support the research activities on Social Norms and Power Dynamics Influencing Adolescent Pregnancy and Behaviours around Family Planning Services and Contraception among Adolescents and Youth in Sierra Leone. We are looking for a talented and committed researcher to carry out field data collection.
The Freelancer will be working with groups of men, women, and girls. This is a sensitive area of research, with potentially vulnerable participants. For the successful candidates, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check will form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.
Purpose of Job:
The Freelance qualitative researcher will be responsible for fieldwork as part of a broader team. They will be required to conduct Focus Group Discussions, In-depth Interviews, and Rapid Interviews, in three districts (Western Area, Pujehun, and Koinadugu).
Specification (requirement) for a Qualitative researcher:
- Experience in conducting Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) and In-depth Interviews. Knowledgeable in moderating skills, and practical use of projective techniques in Focus Group Discussions.,
- Must submit an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) and covering letter.
- Should have experience working on a Sexual Reproductive Health project.
- Candidates who live in or have experience in the research districts are highly encouraged to apply.
*Women are encouraged to apply for this role.
Conducting Focus Group Discussions and In-depth in (Western Area, Koinadugu and Pujehun Districts),
- Conducting fieldwork: Lead in moderating focus group discussions and conducting in-depth interviews as well as rapid interviews.
- Take notes during interviews/FGDs and share detailed field reports after fieldwork.
- Debrief each day after conducting interviews/FGDs.
- Follow the sample frame for the research, during interviews/FGDs based on the demographics and categories of participants.
- To submit field notes and field reports at the end of the field exercise.
Knowledge and skills
- Good working knowledge of research techniques, qualitative (focus groups, interviews, rapid interviews, etc.) research techniques.
- Ability to communicate clearly and appropriately both to colleagues and interviewees from a wide range of backgrounds and a good understanding of how to build a rapport with participants.
- Good understanding of how safeguarding issues related to research ethics and practice, with specific reference to working with vulnerable groups of people.
- Willingness to learn new skills and take on new responsibilities while in the field.
- Fluent in at least one local language of the research district.
- Ability to work in a team with others.
How to apply
Please Send an updated CV, cover letter and certificates with your most recent transcripts to email@example.com before 29th September 2023.
No hard-copy applications will be considered.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.