Position : Programme Manager
Education Partnerships Group
Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Salary details: Competitive, localized.
Contract: 12 months (with possible extension subject to funding and performance) Closing date: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis
Overview of the project :
Education Partnerships Group (EPG) is a non-profit consultancy that supports governments in low and middle-income countries to shape and strengthen their education systems. EPG partners with governments to enable their decisions by generating and using research to ensure policy is informed by evidence, facilitating the design and effective implementation of policy, and advising on the piloting and scaling of new policy reforms.
EPG, in collaboration with the Education Workforce Initiative (EWI), have been supporting the Ministry of Basic and Senior Secondary Education (MBSSE) in Sierra Leone with their policy reform agenda for over two years. Working closely with the Ministry’s Operations Policy and Planning Pillar, the consortium focuses on strengthening the policy development process by ensuring compliance and coherence to standards and supporting the drafting and implementation of policies.
About the role :
EPG is looking for a highly motivated candidate, with Programme management and communication skills to drive the planning, execution, and monitoring of our projects to support the ongoing development of policies and guidelines, as well as the implementation of policies recently promulgated.
The candidate will support EPG work alongside the MBSSE to ensure that policies are carefully and thoughtfully developed and implemented across the country. This will require the ability to oversee, and quality assure the development of policy and policy guidelines and develop templates and training tools to roll out implementation, in consultation with the MBSSE.
The right candidate will be passionate about the role education plays in transforming lives and see this role as an opportunity to support the MBSSE strengthen the policy environment to ensure the delivery of free quality education to all children in Sierra Leone. This role is based in the Ministry of Basic and Senior Secondary Education and will also require helping the Ministry coordinate with relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) and development partners (World Bank, FCDO, etc).
- Cultivate and maintain trusted relationships with MBSSE, maintaining regular contact and check-ins through in-person visits, meetings, workshops, and electronic communication.
- Cultivate and maintain trusted relationships with key stakeholders and development partners, including but not limited to major bilateral and multilateral donors, UN agencies, donor implementing partners and consultancies, national NGOs, advocacy groups.
- Work directly with senior officials in MBSSE and/or related agencies to design and deliver policy-related technical assistance aimed at shaping and strengthening the education system.
- Support policy development, delivery and/or monitoring systems within ministries of education, including support of coordination structures, decision making and project monitoring systems and problem-solving interventions.
- Contribute to the design, delivery, or commissioning of a range of policy-related work including the revision of existing policies, drafting of new policies, policy guidelines and standard operating procedures, including effective stakeholder management.
- Where required, oversee qualitative research projects, and coordinate commissioned quantitative research, support associated analysis, development of policy recommendations and devise strategies to support MBSSE partners to ensure such evidence is used to inform policy change and education service delivery.
- Where required, oversee the design and delivery of policy pilots, collaborating with ministry officials and other partners such as evaluation partners who may be commissioned by EPG or by other development partners.
- Regularly review and update the project workplans and monitoring frameworks, to ensure projects stay on track and on budget.
- Support the financial management of project delivery and contribute to funder reporting.
- Preferably a Master’s degree in Social Sciences (Law, Public Administration, Economics, Education, or related field)
- 5+ years of professional experience
- A commitment to improving education quality for all children
- Considerable professional experience in the public policy process in low- and middle-income countries, including policy analysis, review, design and implementation
- A track record of building relationships with leaders in government and non government institutions
- Attention to detail and considerable professional experience in the design and delivery of policy-related projects
- Strong written communications and presentation skills in English.
- Experience with the professional use of the Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word,
PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience in analyzing and interpreting data, including familiarity with research and evaluation methodologies
- Experience with project management tools and approaches
- Strong interpersonal skills with a sense of humility and willingness to work with diverse team members, often remotely
- Commitment to EPG’s core values
o Responsive | we start from a place of “yes”
o Accountable | we accept ownership and healthy conflict
o Rigorous | we create and meet high expectations
o Inclusive | we seek diversity of perspectives and experiences
o Respectful | we are quick to listen and empathize
- Candidates with French language skills are also encouraged to apply, though this is not required of all roles.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send all Applications and CV to the Email Address Below: