SENIOR MONITORING, EVALUATION, ACCOUNTABILITY AND LEARNING (MEAL) OFFICER
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POSITION IS BASED ON APPROVED FUNDS
Action Against Hunger is an equal opportunity employer
Women are strongly encouraged to apply
International Non-governmental organization, Action Against Hunger has been working to fight undernutrition and support communities affected by crisis across the globe for almost 40 years and across nearly 50 countries. Action Against Hunger established its presence in both Liberia and Sierra Leone in 1991 during the Civil War and since then has been operational in the two countries by implementing various humanitarian and development programs related to health, nutrition, food security/livelihoods and advocacy geared towards the reduction of the prevalence rates of under-nutrition in both countries. Since January 2018, the two countries have been clustered and now operating under a single management structure. The coordination office is based in Freetown, Sierra Leone overseeing the operations in Moyamba Field Office and Liberia Country Office.
Action Against Hunger is recruiting a suitably qualified Sierra Leonean as a Senior Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer to to uphold the principles and practices of the organizational MEAL system in order to ensure effective data management, accountability and learning to improve quality programming. S/he will lead the MEAL component in Bonthe District with support from the MEAL Manager.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
Program Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Conduct spot checks and routine field monitoring visit on project activities and sites.
- Monitor the project performance indicators taking into account the program M&E plan and quantitative progress report.
- Ensure the proper use of data collection tools, and the conscious use of data while respecting beneficiaries’ confidentiality rules.
- Ensure quality control of data provided by program teams and partners
- Participate in activities related to evaluation/ impact studies of the project (baseline assessment, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation, including quantitative as well as qualitative evaluations);
- Contribute to the design and revision of data collection tools
- Organize data collection (qualitative and quantitative) of the program in the field and ensure the quality of data collected for evaluations
- Facilitate quarterly joint monitoring visit and review sessions with program and partners.
- Maintaining a tracking spreadsheet for M&E activities and events – baselines, assessments, reviews, evaluations – tracking trends and recommendations, progressing their implementation where appropriate
Accountability and Learning:
- Strengthen feedback mechanism with community beneficiaries, stakeholders and project team through awareness raising and capacity building sessions.
- Facilitate feedback gathering sessions on project performance
- Manage and update the feedback and complaint database
- Support the development of success stories and lessons learned by drafting and sharing information to the relevant managers for capitalization.
- Facilitate quarterly program review meeting with team members and partners
- When necessary, conduct post activity monitoring to gather feedback on activity outcome and relevance.
- Internally advocate for best practices in M&E and project delivery among project staff.
Data Management and Reporting:
- Ensuring data entering and management of feedback and complaint.
- Conduct data cleaning, analysis and visualization on relevant dataset for onward reporting.
- Regularly review and validate activity progress reports.
- Participate and support the regular field activity reports
- Ensure to produce weekly update of MEAL departmental achievement.
- Prepare, produce and present MEAL activity reports, with analyses and summaries, to the MEAL Manager
- Prepare and produce reports on program monitoring activities
- Build the capacity of PMO through training, mentorships, and coaching to uplift staff capacity
- Ensure regular staff appraisal, review and approval of time sheet and management of leave plan.
- Help ensure all aspects of Action Against Hunger activities adhere to program quality standards and policies (accountability and mainstreaming) in a coherent and integrated manner.
- Work closely with other MEAL and project staff to enhance synergy
- Ensure that gender considerations are made with participants of projects to have clear statistics on gender inclusion.
- Ensure the highest stands of accountability through ensuring good communication and information sharing within the organization.
- Be aware of, understand, and comply with all of Action Against Hunger’s policies and procedures.
- Contribute to ongoing security management and planning as necessary.
- Actively participate in any emergency response if called upon to do so (within the existing Programme area or in a new one).
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the MEAL Manager, Field Manager, Health and Nutrition Program Manager, Food Security and Livelihood Manager.
- Adhere to all COVID-19 precautionary measures
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study -Agriculture ,Development or social science
- 3-5 years working experience on Programme monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning.
- 3-5 years working experience on monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in supervision, management and monitoring/data management
Required Competencies and Skills:
- Experience working in WASH, Food Security & Livelihood and Nutrition.
- Good motorbike riding skills with valid riders licenses
- Solid knowledge and experience in the use of MS Word and MS Excel.
- Excellent planning, communication and analytical skills
- Ability to work with and support different teams
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection methods
- Experience with use of mobile data collection tools like kobo software
- Willingness and ability to travel to remote project areas
STARTING DATE:3rd October 2022
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Nine(9) Months Sierra Leonean contract (Renewable)
LOCATION: Bonthe, with frequent travels to Freetown, and other field areas
Monthly Basic Salary: SLL 3,567,200 to 4,096,960 based on profile
Monthly Transport Allowance: 15% of Monthly Basic Salary
Housing Allowance: 15% of Monthly Basic Salary
HOW TO APPLY:
Send Motivation Letter, CV saved in your name – for example (Joe Blue CV) for your CV, and (Joe Blue Motivation Letter) for your motivation letter, with names of three (3) referees by email, under the Subject “Senior MEAL Officer” to:
Deadline for the receipt of applications is Friday, 8th July 2022.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be sorted on a rolling basis.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for a written test and oral interview.
Please state the position applied for on the subject line of your email.
Action Against Hunger is an equal opportunity employer.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.