Job title: Senior Pharmacy Manager – Nationals only
Work Location: Kono District
Reports to: Chief Medical Officer
Line Management No
Duration of Contract Twelve (12) Months with possibility of extension
Application Status External Advert
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change. Our delivered services in the field are based in our partnership with the Governments and Ministries of Health and the support to education, training and mentorship to Health care workers and students is one of our pillars for the Health care system strengthening.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Our Work In Sierra Leone:
Partners In Health (PIH) began supporting the government of Sierra Leone in response to the Ebola epidemic in October 2014. Recognizing the large need for continued investments in the health system after Ebola, PIH is committed to long-term health system strengthening in support of the Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MOHS), guided by the same principles as our emergency response and our work around the world: public sector accompaniment, integrated and comprehensive services, social justice, nimbleness and flexibility, partnership, community ownership, and evidence-based interventions. In the aftermath of the epidemic, PIH is committed to supporting the delivery of comprehensive health services in Sierra Leone, from the community level to the health center and to referral hospitals.
This position provides support to the Warehouse and Supply Chain Management (SCM) team so that all medical and lab supplies are stored optimally, including attention to cold chain.
Work in Collaboration with the MOHS team within the DHMT (Kono) and Koidu Government Hospital (KGH) as well as with representatives of national programs including Central medical stores, the national HIV and TB programs, and the malaria and nutrition programs. Works closely with the MOH pharmacists at Lakka Government Hospital and Sierra Leone Psychiatric Teaching Hospital to ensure pharmacy structures are maintained.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Warehouse and Inventory Management
- In conjunction with the Supply Chain Management & Operations teams, implement standard operating procedures in warehouse and stock management for PIH-SL supplies; become proficient in Open Boxes, such that you can provide assistance in the training and operations of Open Boxes, PIH’s inventory management software.
- With the Clinical and SCM teams, analyze consumption data to develop a re-supply and ordering schedule for all medications and medical consumables.
- Provide support to Warehouse and SCM team so that all medical and lab supplies are stored optimally, including attention to cold chain.
- Work in Collaboration with the MOHS team within the DHMT (Kono) and Koidu Government Hospital (KGH) as well as with representatives of national programs including Central medical stores, the national HIV and TB programs, and the malaria and nutrition program.
- Serve as the primary pharmacist for the Wellbody Alliance Primary Care Clinic. Within these different health facilities, work to strengthen pharmacy and healthcare delivery through ensuring that national standards are met, improved reporting systems, and facilitating PIH-SL’s ability to “fill the gap” within the national healthcare system and to ensure that PIH-SL shared objective of creating “model district” in the implementation of national healthcare programs. Works closely with the MOH pharmacists at Lakka Government Hospital and Sierra Leone Psychiatric Teaching Hospital to make sure supply chain is managed well and accountability of drugs are maintained.
- Responsible for the design and implementation of process of Pharmacy Services in Kono districts.
- Serves as PIH-SL’s representative at national programs, such as HIV, TB, malaria and malnutrition with the goal of becoming a “model district” for these national programs.
- Interface closely with Clinical and MEQ teams to ensure accurate reporting and inform forecasting process.
- Collaborates with PIH operations team to identify opportunities to leverage PIH operations capacity to support KGH, Primary care Health facilities and WBA.
- Accompany MOHS district pharmacy staff and PIH-SL staff, providing visible leadership, professional clinical supervision and mentorship.
- For PIH-WBA pharmacy staff, provide direct supervision and feedback; complete performance reviews in a timely manner.
- Provide procurement and supply chain management leadership for optimal procurement and distribution medications and consumables that will avoid stock outs, expired stock or over stock.
- Assure compliance with MOHS guidelines and all legal and regulatory requirements for pharmacy operations, including dispensing and tracking of controlled substances.
- Strong people management experience, including the demonstrated ability to work respectfully, productively, and with humility; as well as demonstrated aptitude for teaching, training, and mentorship.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment:
At Partners In Health, we are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work- including our patients, families and community members – as well as our staff are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Partners In Health’s PSEAH policy. Partner In Health will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
- BSc in pharmacy
- At least three years of managerial work experience
- Computer literacy and experience in Office programs: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Ability to be flexible and effective in the face of unexpected challenges
- Strong interpersonal skills; experience in counseling preferred
- Proven ability to exercise good judgment, ensure patient confidentiality, and approach sensitive topics with respect
- Commitment to social justice in health care issues.
- Sense of humor and flexible disposition.
- Ability to live in rural Kono District for the full duration of the contract
We are a global health and social justice organization that responds to the moral imperative to provide high-quality health care globally to those who need it most. We strive to ease suffering by placing patients at the center of all care, bringing the benefits of modern medicine to all.
Method of application:
Interested candidates are required to apply through our website: www.pih.org/employment. In your application, please ensure to include names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers of three (3) referees not later than 12:00pm GMT (Midnight) on Tuesday 5th July 2022