International Rescue Committee
4 Off Hill Cot Road
Tel: (232) 76-471-796
Position: Senior Program Officer (1)
Reports to: Senior Health Coordinator
Duration: 12 months, with possibility of extension based on performance and funding.
Application Deadline 3rd February 2023
(Only the applicants who have applied via the IRC Website Cornerstone and shortlisted for interview will be contacted).
The International Rescue Committee (IRC), one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression, and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC has worked in Sierra Leone since 1999 and currently programs across three core sectors: 1) Health 2) Women and Girls’ Protection and Empowerment (WGPE), and 3) Education. The IRC is committed to supporting the Government of Sierra Leone in the strengthening of the country and has offices in Bo, Kailahun, Kenema, and Kono, with national geographic reach through partners. We seek to build upon our programming experience and introduce new programs that are adaptive, collaborative and evidence-driven, leading to a more educated, safe, healthy, and empowered Sierra Leone.
Under the health sector, the IRC currently implements a growing number of projects across the four districts. To improve coordination and successful implementation of current and future projects, the IRC seeks to recruit a Senior Program Officer to provide ongoing support to the health team by linking the team with Supply Chain, Finance, Administration, Human Resources, etc. both in Freetown and across the district offices to ensure implementation of activities and financial documentation are well coordinated and in harmony. The Senior Program Officer will provide day-to-day logistic, finance, Admin, HR, and other related support to the health team to ensure smooth running of activities. The incumbent may also be requested to provide other programmatic support as needed. This is a full-time national staff position based in Freetown.
Scope of work
Reporting to the Senior Health Coordinator, the Senior Program Officer will work in collaboration with support teams such as Grants, Finance, Supply Chain, Admin, HR, IT, etc. and to ensure the implementation of health-related activities within the organization. Key responsibilities for the position are summarized as follows:
- Ensure the health team receives administrative and logistical support for the smooth running of activities.
- In collaboration with respective project coordinators, maintain and update activity and budget trackers every fortnight to ensure activities are implemented within agreed upon timeframes and within allocated budget.
- Work with the support team to ensure invoices from vendors are cleared and that all expenses are captured in relevant financial reports.
- Support project coordinators to review and share inputs to relevant financial reports every month, ahead of BvA meetings.
- Work with Finance, Grants, Supply Chain, Admin, HR, and programs to ensure adequate review and discussion of BvA reports every month and follow up on implementation of action items accordingly and discuss any emerging issues with the supervisor as needed.
- Provide logistical and administration support during preparation and implementation of health-related workshops, meetings, events, and trainings.
- In collaboration with the Senior Health Coordinator, assist with the preparation and submission of monthly management reports for the health team.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities to ensure that goals and objectives of projects are met and to support IRC program implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree in a health-related field is required.
- Advanced knowledge and skill in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint are required.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, finance and budget management are required.
- Excellent report writing skills in English are required.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated experience in similar position with similar responsibilities in international NGOs.
- Strong analytical, coordination, and communication skills.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC is equal opportunity employer, considered all the candidates based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran, or disability.
Mode of Application:
All applications must be done using the below link and should include a cover letter, updated CV, names of three referees and their active telephone and email contacts, copies of professional certificates and testimonial
Please ensure that all attached files are less than 2 megabytes (2MB) for any one message that is sent.
A copy of your application letter, updated CV, labour card and all other supporting documents should be sent to the NGO Desk Officer, Ministry of Labour – New England or to the nearest Ministry of Labour office nationwide.
Please contact any of our offices captioned below for further information and/or detailed requirements or call on 076-471-796.
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY