Location: CARE Sierra Leone
Manager: WASH Manager
CARE seeks a world of hope, inclusion, and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live in dignity and security. CARE places a particular emphasis on women and girls, their dignity and empowerment to lead their communities out of poverty. In 2020, CARE worked in 104 countries, reaching 90 million people through more than 1,300 programs, with an annual budget of $650 million. Every single one of those 90 million people has a story of resilience, community, strength, and hope—all things that bind us together, across every corner of the globe.
In Sierra Leone, CARE staff and partners work tirelessly to save lives, address the root causes of poverty and social injustice through advocacy, partnerships, system strengthening and programming in impact areas of Gender Equality, Empowering Women and Girls, Humanitarian Assistance, Right to Food, Nutrition and Water, Right to Health, Women’s Economic Justice and Climate Justice.
We are celebrating our 60th Anniversary and we are looking forward to serving Sierra Leone for another 60 years and beyond. If you believe in CARE’s mission and vision, and possess the skills listed below then join us in saving lives, empowering women and girls and defeating poverty!
CARE Sierra Leone is seeking a talented visionary to assume the opportunity of WASH Officer. Reporting to the WASH Manager, He/ She is to identify and implement high quality water, Sanitation& Hygiene (WASH) activities, which are appropriate and comprehensive, in compliance with the standards set internationally by CARE and by national policies.
The key responsibilities of the WASH Project Officer are:
Participate in district-level planning and implementation of WASH activities to achieve project objectives:
- Support the District Coordinators, Ministry of Water Resources, District Health Management Team and other partners to improve and strengthen WASH activities in the 8 (eight) districts
- Developing a monthly work plan of project activities in consultation with the District Team Leaders, MWR , partners and the DHMTs
- Ensuring the submission of data and reports from the field is timely, accurate and transparent.
- Field implementation of WASH activities (15%): Provide technical support and advice on trainings for project staff,Water management Committees, DHMTs and other partners. Ensure that appropriate social mobilization and community engagement systems are in place in all areas of operation. In collaboration with the District Team Leaders, DHMTs and Outreach Officers, plan and monitor the distribution of hygiene promotion materials in communities Monitor.
- Representation, coordination, and networking (15%): Lead technical assessments to identify current WASH gaps/ needs in the districts and use findings to provide technical advice on the design of appropriate response interventions to address the gaps/ needs.
- Leadership and Staff Development (10%): Abide to the compliance to safeguarding principles on protection against sexual harassment exploitation and abuse (PHSEA) at district and community levels while adopting CARE’s Annual Performance processes and guidelines.
To be successful in this role you will:
Possess WASH Officer skills. have a bachelors’ degree in civil engineer. A Master’s is desirable, supplemented by demonstrated relevant practical WASH experience in relation to the job, bringing with you a minimum of years of experience as a Civil Engineer and WASH Officer or similar experiences with most of those years working in a non-profit environment.
Have the facilitation and communication skills Facilitate WASH coordination among partners, ensuring that inclusive and good practice coordination structures for all technical sectors and a good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports to the Wash Manager and Heath project Director.
Be agile and adaptable. Can quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards
Be a problem solver and critical thinker. You must be able to clearly identify and define the different levels of problem solving and resolution. Think holistically with a vision and use your analytics and reporting skills
Be a leader with influence. Demonstrated leadership, coaching and negotiation skills with internal and external partners with the ability to be a team player.
Know your systems. Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel and Word and good skills at using financial software applications (PeopleSoft experience will be preferred).
To apply please send your CV to: email@example.com