Date PostedFebruary 22, 2024
Expiration dateFebruary 28, 2024
Vacancy Announcement: MEAL Officer VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
|1st April 2024
|12 months – with the possibility of an extension
|Internal and External
|28th February 2024 (only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted)
Welbodi Partnership (WP) is a UK-registered charity working to reduce maternal and child mortality and morbidity in Sierra Leone. Since 2008, Welbodi Partnership has worked in partnership with hospital management, health facility staff, and the Ministry of Health to improve maternal and child health outcomes in Sierra Leone. We do this through a range of bold innovative partnerships models across health system strengthening activities, healthcare worker training, hospital improvement projects, research and community engagement.
Our vision is that all women and children in Sierra Leone will have access to effective essential healthcare services characterized by respect and dignity for all. Our mission is to build the capacity and effectiveness of the health system in Sierra Leone using evidence-based practice to reduce the number of women and children who are sick, suffer, or die unnecessarily.
The organization’s guiding principles are:
- Deliver Lasting Results
- Working in Partnership
- Quality improvement and patient safety
- Valuing People
- Evidence Based Approach
For further information, please see: www.welbodipartnership.org
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) are essential in the design and implementation of WP’s programs. The primary role of the MEAL Officer is to work directly with technical and program staff to ensure implementation of high-quality MEAL at the field and strategic levels. The position provides technical analysis, design and support in the area of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning in line with WP’s standards, donor guidelines to deliver high-quality health
Vacancy Announcement: MEAL Officer
programming. Working closely with DHMT’s and directly reporting to the WP MEAL manager, the MEAL Officer develops effective MEAL systems and data collection tools; collects data using qualitative and quantitative methods; and conducts data entry and analysis that informs reporting under the FCDO funded Saving lives 3 program in Sierra Leone.
∙ District Health Management Team (DHMT)
∙ Peripheral Health Unit (PHU) and Hospital Staff
∙ Local authorities and Community Chiefs
∙ Health led services and pregnant women
∙ Welbodi Programme Manager
∙ Welbodi MEL Manager
∙ District Program officers
∙ Other consortium partners.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
- Develop WP office M&E processes, methodologies and tools for planning, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning in line with WP policies and standards and harmonize them with WP country office M&E systems.
- Monitor implementation of systems, processes and tools ensuring quality and consistency in M&E data collection and reporting
- Produce a comprehensive M&E plan for the program and conduct regular progress monitoring of the plan
- Provide technical expertise in household survey sampling design, questionnaire development, enumerator training and implementation, including programming needed for electronic data collection
- Contribute to the development of project proposals and internal and external reports, including assessments, baseline and end line survey reports which include data analysis, interpretation, and recommendations.
- Conduct data quality assessments & data audits to ensure that the collected data is accurate and maintains the integrity of the project
- Conduct beneficiary interviews, focus group discussions, and quality improvement verification visits to the project sites as required by the program
- Collaborates with WP country office team and other consortium Programs and technical team for data sharing, reporting, and quality improvement
- Collaborate with local Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MoHS) for ethics approvals for all surveys
Vacancy Announcement: MEAL Officer ACCOUNATBILTY
- Contribute to the establishment of an effective complaints, accountability and response mechanism to enhance feedback, trust and confidence with beneficiaries
- Maintain a record of beneficiary complaints and actions taken settling such complaints.
- Ensure accountability mechanisms are integrated into country strategies, program design, and monitoring and evaluation systems
- Ensure data storage and systems for sharing are set up to protect confidentiality of personally identifying beneficiary data and adhere to WP and donor data storage and sharing policy.
- Contribute to the safeguarding of program participants and personnel through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of WP Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, and Child & Vulnerable Adult protection policies and sexual harassment policies
▪ Develop systematic approaches that support documenting how change is happening within programs and making knowledge accessible and usable at local, country office and global level to inform programming
▪ Support and organize collection of success stories, case studies, best practices and photos of activities for knowledge management and dissemination.
▪ Maintain a filing system for all MEAL activities, reports and analyses in hard and soft copies, including backups
▪ Organize regular capacity building/orientation for program staff in relevant M&E topics.
▪ Coordinate with M&E counterparts in other consortium members and information management working groups
An individual holding university Bachelor’s degree in statistics or public health. A diploma in medical disciplines like CHO, Nursing and midwifery will be an added advantage.
Familiarity with health service delivery, research or NGO project implementation in Sierra Leone, those with benefit of women and children would be an advantage.
Experience designing M&E plans, indicators, data management tools etc
Experience formulating periodic reports with graphics showing program or country level performance and quality.
At least 3 years’ experience in similar roles in NGOs.
Knowledge of project implementation processes that relate to planning, resource management, problem solving, monitoring and reporting.
Concrete knowledge of log frame design, indicator development and report writing.
Familiar with core humanitarian standards and sphere standards.
Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, publisher and Google applications
Vacancy Announcement: MEAL Officer
Strong survey planning skills like using Open data kits, training enumerators, writing survey reports etc.
Strong quantitative and qualitative sampling and data analysis techniques
Proficient in logically organizing and retrieving electronic and hard copy information.
Ability to self-motivate, take initiative and work autonomously within the scope of the role with minimal supervision.
Excellent interpersonal skills, verbal communication skills, and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across different hierarchy lines and in cross cultural teams. o Ability to work well under pressure and deliver deadlines whilst maintaining an excellent level of written and oral communication and respectful working relationships
Fluency in written and spoken English.
Confidence, diplomacy, and sensitivity in working with local authorities, healthcare providers and senior staff from partner organizations including the Government.
A team player who shows enthusiasm and is committed to the goals and principles of Welbodi Partnership.
Ability to use mapping software such as Arc GIS or others
Strong using data bases like HMIS, DIHS2 etc.
Honesty: Shows a high level of integrity and will not fabricate responses or misrepresent the programme.
Communication: Confidently expresses self, able to clearly ask questions and help the respondent understand what is needed from her/him
Relationship Building: Able to build trust with colleagues and stakeholders and maintain confidentiality.
Accuracy: Must be able to complete documentation accurately
Endurance: Must be able to work for full day working hours and be willing to work in different offices or locations within Freetown and make short trips to the districts if required.
Pro-activeness to in handling duties independently
Adaptability to respond flexibly and effectively to broad range of tasks.
Responsiveness towards line manager, team members and stakeholders
GENERAL POLICIES PROCEDURES AND PRACTICES
In addition to the key job responsibilities detailed in these Terms of Reference, all employees and volunteers at Welbodi Partnership are expected to comply with the general duties outlined below and detailed in full in our policies.
Welbodi Partnership has a Zero Tolerance policy on Safeguarding and is committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and vulnerable adults. Therefore, all staff and volunteers are expected
Vacancy Announcement: MEAL Officer
to behave in a way that supports this commitment. All new staff undergo mandatory safeguarding training and sign the safeguarding policy before the commencement of work. Applicants for this position should be aware that if successful, they will be requested to complete a Police check
Welbodi Partnership complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The closing date for applications is the 28th February 2024 – we encourage potential applicants to submit as soon as possible.
To apply for this position please send your cover letter, CV not more than 3 pages and contact details of 3 referees in one email to email@example.com using the following subject title: Application – MEAL Officer.
For any queries relating to the position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY