Date PostedFebruary 1, 2024
Expiration dateFebruary 14, 2024
|Salary band 4 –
|Deputy Implementation Manager
The Energizing Development Programme Sierra Leone (hereinafter EnDev) is an energy programme with the objective of increasing access to affordable modern energy services. It is a global initiative in more than 20 countries that GIZ is implementing on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). Donor countries are Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, and Switzerland. EnDev has been active in Sierra Leone since more than 10 years, cooperating with government institutions, national and local non-governmental organization, donors, and the private sector.
In Sierra Leone, the programme consists of two components a) access to electricity through Pico PV, solar home systems b) access to modern cooking systems through energy-efficient cookstoves, sustainable biomass production to avoid deforestation including efficient charcoal production. Moreover, the project has recently been commissioned to implement the “Transformational Energy Use for Sierra Leone – phase 1” (TEUSL-1) on behalf of the European Union and the German BMZ ministry. The present position will support the implementation of the TEUSL project and will be based in the soon to be established regional EnDev office in Kenema.
The administrative specialist serves as a liaison between the EnDev Kenema office and the EnDev office in Freetown, as well as the GIZ Country Office in Freetown.
The position comprises the following:
The Accountant is responsible for
- Providing customer-oriented services by the GIZ office to projects/programmes
- Introducing and disseminating new policies, rules and guidelines etc. relating to administrative procedures
- Coordinating effectively with the finance and administrative teams at the EnDev Freetown office and GIZ Country office
- Ensuring uniform policies that are in line with local legislation.
- Oversee the correct handling of project cashbook.
- Ensure that all documents submitted to the EnDev office in Freetown and the GIZ Country Office are correct and in line with the GIZ standard processes and procedures.
The Administrative Specialist performs the following tasks:
- Financial services
- Monitors real accounts (payables, receivables) and reports regularly to the Implementation Manager, and Senior Advisor and or the Head of Finance and Administration -County Office.
- Promote a sense of corporate identity, enable employees to carry out tasks independently and create scope for creativity and innovation.
- Is also responsible in make sure that the administration of the project work is in line with GIZ policy and making ensuring that they provide cost-effective services.
- Ensuring that stock cards are properly kept.
- Oversee the correct handling of logbooks and make sure that fuel consumption is done regularly.
Personnel issues (national personnel):
- Ensures that all regional office staff are informed about GIZ’s procedures, P+R and Code of Conduct
- Deals with the options for setting up and implementing a platform for exchanging and communicating information between GIZ Country Office and the Project.
Advisory services to Project Manager and the Senior Advisor:
- Applies GIZ P+R in administrative processes in the projects.
- Coordinates contract wording with external service providers (e.g., law firms, freelancers etc.), and monitors cost-effectiveness
- Accepts more comprehensive tasks, e.g., drawing up the office report, collaborating on country planning.
- Assists with the transfer of funds to projects.
- Revises and continuously improves processes used by both internal services and projects/programmes.
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Reports all problems with financial and administrative matters and compliance without delay.
- Is responsible to help the administrative team with filing in accordance with GIZ rules.
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Required qualifications, competences, and experience.
- Degree in Accounting, business administration or recognized diploma/certificate in economics, law, or similar area
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
Other knowledge, additional competences:
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office package)
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of the European language widely used in the country.
- Ability to motivate and support staff.
- Experience and ability to work in an intercultural environment.
- Outstanding office administration, management, and organizational skills
- Outstanding management skills
- Professional experience in a development cooperation project is an asset.
- Very trustworthy and loyal.
Mode of Application:
Suitable candidates are invited to apply not later than 14.02.2024 to the email address email@example.com Only applicants shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
GIZ-Sierra Leone is an equal-opportunity employer, and therefore women are strongly encouraged to apply.