Date PostedFebruary 1, 2024
Expiration dateFebruary 14, 2024
|Salary band 1 –
|Deputy Implementation Manager
The Energizing Development Programme Sierra Leone (hereinafter EnDev) is an energy programme with the objective of increasing access to affordable modern energy services. It is a global initiative in more than 20 countries that GIZ is implementing on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). Donor countries are Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, and Switzerland. EnDev has been active in Sierra Leone since more than 10 years, cooperating with government institutions, national and local non-governmental organization, donors, and the private sector.
In Sierra Leone, the programme consists of two components a) access to electricity through Pico PV, solar home systems b) access to modern cooking systems through energy-efficient cookstoves, sustainable biomass production to avoid deforestation including efficient charcoal production. Moreover, the project has recently been commissioned to implement the “Transformational Energy Use for Sierra Leone – phase 1” (TEUSL-1) on behalf of the European Union and the German BMZ ministry. That project activity has a distinct focus on productive use of (renewable) energy (PUE).
The present position will support the implementation of the TEUSL-project and will be based in the soon to be established regional EnDev office in Kenema.
The driver is responsible for
- Safely and responsibly performing all official travels using official vehicles
- Regularly servicing and looking after official vehicles
- Taking account of all available information on road conditions, accessible routes, and locations
- Monitoring safety and security situation on the road and coordinating with the security- and risk-management team of GIZ if needed.
- Running official errands and assisting with other office work
The driver performs the following tasks:
- Provides passenger transport in an official car for office, project or programme staff, official visitors, and guests.
- Runs errands for the project, programme, or office, e.g. sending letters and messages, paying bills, and buying smaller quantities of office supplies.
- Helps with transporting goods.
- Completes the vehicle log correctly and conscientiously in accordance with GIZ standards and follow up with other driver in the project countries.
- Cleans the interior and exterior of the vehicle(s) regularly.
- Checks oil, water, brakes and brake liquid, tyre pressure, battery levels and the entire vehicle, monthly or every 5,000 km (whichever is first), headlights, brakes, bodywork for dents etc.
- Is responsible for the project vehicle documents and their good condition, keeping a vehicle log and recording monthly maintenance.
- Calculates monthly petrol, oil and lubricant consumption for the daily cash fund and for forwarding monthly vouchers to cost accounting.
- Reports need for service and carries out minor repairs.
- Immediately reports all involvement of the project or office vehicle in accidents, including minor accidents, damage, loss, or theft of vehicle fittings.
- Uses all available information (including current radio news on traffic conditions) to update daily knowledge of road conditions, current passable routes, and locations, and shares this information with other office drivers.
Other duties/additional tasks:
- Assists other colleagues as needed in the project, programme, or office if there is no travel pending, carries out other office work on request.
- Monitoring of assigned project vehicles.
Required qualifications, competences, and experience:
- Secondary school education
- Holds a valid driver’s licence.
- At least 3 years’ work experience as a driver with references
- No major accidents in the past 3 years
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good knowledge in English
- Discipline and punctuality
- Resilience and patience
- Familiarity with all major cities and regions of Sierra Leone
- Appropriate appearance and attire (possibly uniform, friendly manner with all passengers)
- Ensures unrestricted availability of vehicles at all times and reports restrictions immediately.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Mode of Application:
Suitable candidates are invited to apply not later than 14.02.2024 to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org Only applicants shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
GIZ-Sierra Leone is an equal-opportunity employer, and therefore women are strongly encouraged to apply.